Metrology Engineer from ECM Awarded 2021 Inspector of the Year
Metrology Engineer, Jon McLaughlin of ECM, Awarded 2021 Chuck Carter International Inspector of the Year from ASQ’s Inspection Division
The ASQ Inspection Division has selected ECM - Global Measurement Solutions’ Metrology Engineer, Jon McLaughlin, as the 2021 Chuck Carter International Inspector of the Year. McLaughlin will be acknowledged at an award ceremony to be held later this year.
Jon has been with ECM for almost six years, working his way up from an entry-level engineer fresh out of college, until today, where he is amongst the best of ECM’s field metrologists and project leads. Jon has worked in every aspect of the company including: in-house and on-site inspections, reverse engineering, and training. As he’s gained knowledge and experience, he became a teacher and mentor to the junior engineers, technicians, and inspectors who work with him.
Many of Jon’s more remarkable jobs have required him to step beyond traditional inspection. A few examples are:
- Programming for an automated measurement and alignment system developed for positioning tube segments. In addition to working in an adverse outdoor environment, Jon applied the programming skills and knowledge needed for advanced measurement automation.
- Propeller inspections, both off the shaft and installed on the ship. Taking the measurements, usually in adverse outdoor conditions, is just the beginning. Jon also performs the analysis to report blade characteristics like pitch, profile, thickness, and contour at specific diameters in conformance with ISO-484 or Navy requirements.
- Precision measurements to characterize the National Spherical Torus Experiment (NSTX) at a US University and improve magnet alignment.
- Beam alignment of advanced cancer radiation treatment centers including proton therapy for a number of companies at various hospital sites; and the rapidly emerging Boron Neutron Capture Therapy (BNCT) for a customer at a University Hospital. The beam alignment work requires Jon to interpret architectural and construction drawings, which is a change from mechanical engineering prints typically used in the manufacturing industry. In addition to the precision metrology requirements, this work involved consulting with the customer to optimize the alignment through design and process improvements.
- With the US Navy as a client, Jon had to master a precision GPS and integrate it with a laser tracker for the purpose of calibrating the ships navigation system.
- Jon has presented technical papers at various venues over the years, and he is also certified by the Coordinate Metrology Society as a Level 1 Inspector in 3D-Portable Metrology.
- Beyond measurement, Jon takes field work to the next level by performing instrument and CNC machining center calibrations through the use of laser interferometry. As part of these calibrations, he’s adopted and mastered the use of a Renishaw laser system as a standard. Field calibrations are more difficult because the environmental conditions are less controlled. The best measurement technique is required, and the associated uncertainty calculations can be a lot more involved than a controlled lab calibration.
Jon is well-liked and respected by his peers and ECM’s management. He is always willing to work a little harder or put in a little extra time in order to insure a job is completed to the highest standards. On more than one occasion, he’s stayed late to help a co-worker take measurements, analyze data, or finish a report. He’s always available to help the younger inspectors and metrologists when they have questions. A little over a year ago, John was promoted to Field Services Manager. This has given Jon another opportunity to equip our next generation of metrologists with the skills and knowledge needed to succeed. He has grown into his new role quickly.
Download the ASQ Inspection Division Official Press Release below.
The ASQ Inspection Division has selected ECM Global Measurement Solutions’ metrology engineer, Jon McLaughlin, as the 2021 Chuck Carter International Inspector of the Year. McLaughlin will be acknowledged at an award ceremony to be held later this year.