CMS Certification Application
Application for Recognition as a Certified Metrologist
3D Metrology is being integrated into manufacturing processes at a rapid rate. Data collection technologies that were once the domain of scientists, engineers, and mathematicians are now being used by technicians and shop-floor personnel for industrial applications and beyond. Measurement equipment is calibrated and certified to performance standards, but most of the personnel operating this equipment are not certified. Many operator-induced variables can dramatically influence the quality of the data collected and the effectiveness of dimensional controls.
Mission and Vision
The mission of the Certification Committee is to satisfy the identified industry need for professional certifications in 3D metrology. To that end, the committee shall identify existing certification programs that may fulfill this need and, where such programs do not exist, develop appropriate certifications. The vision of the Certification committee is to be an integral part of the CMS Education Strategy, supporting the educational goals for the future of metrology outreach, STEM, and skills for industry and science.
What is CMS Metrology Certification?
Career-enhancing credentials earned through the Coordinate Metrology Society’s (CMS) Certification program can set you apart in the metrology industry. Level-One and Level-Two Certification assessments for measurement professionals are designed to recognize key skills and knowledge essential to the workplace today.
What is the CMS Metrology Certification Examination?
The Level-One examination is a proctored and secure online assessment consisting of approximately 200 multiple choice questions covering foundational theory and practice common to most portable (PCMM) and traditional (CMM) 3D Metrology devices. Candidates for this certification must submit an application, meet eligibility requirements, sign the CMS code of ethics, and pass a peer review.
Assessment test questions will measure knowledge of metrology fundamentals identified in five job-duty areas listed below:
- Interpretation of Design Documents
- Measurement Device Knowledge
- Pre-measurement Planning
- Measurement Operations
- Data Analysis & Ethics
Prior to starting the application process, please review the basic requirements for the certification.
The basic requirements for a Level-One Certified 3D Metrologist are:
- A professional who uses portable (PCMM) or traditional (CMM) 3D metrology technology to collect measurements and interpret data from a variety of contact and non-contact 3D measurement devices.
- Two years of experience in 3D metrology, one year of which was in a position of responsibility demonstrating professional knowledge and competence.
- References from four people who are holding, or who have held, responsible positions in metrology and have first-hand knowledge of the applicant’s professional and personal qualifications.
- Declaration of compliance with the Code of Ethics of the Coordinate Metrology Society.
- Successful completion of the certification Application for CMS Level-One Certification.
The basic requirements for a Level-Two Certified 3D Metrologist are:
- Must hold a current Level-One Certification
- Two years of hands-on practical experience and a minimum of 400 hundred hours use, with the
requisite device (PCMM, Laser Tracker etc.)
- Two references
- Successful completion of a practical (hands-on) examination.
*Candidates may sit for the certification exam prior to the review and acceptance of the application credentials, but they will not be eligible to be granted as a CMS Certified 3D Metrologist until the application process is complete and accepted.
The Application Process and Reference Forms
If not a member already, all certification candidates will automatically become a member of the Coordinate Metrology Society upon completion of the application process and payment of the application fee. This membership fee will expire one year from your application submission date.
CMS Certification candidates must submit an application and references, meet eligibility requirements, sign the CMS code of ethics, and pass a peer review. Qualifying candidates are notified and scheduled for an examination seat. To begin the process, please apply now and don't forget to download the REFERENCE FORM to send to your colleagues.
Knowledge-Based Exam Applications
LEVEL ONE - 3D PORTABLE
LEVEL ONE - CMM (Traditional)
Performance-Based Exam Applications
LEVEL TWO - (CMM Traditional)
LEVEL TWO - PCMM (Laser Tracker)
LEVEL TWO - PCMM (Articulating Arm)
LEVEL TWO - PCMM (Handheld Scanner)